The Holzwang chapel is 1444 metres above sea level. It was built in 1903/04 on the Chänzeli, a spur of the Chli Horn, and dedicated to the Sorrowful Mother and the farmers' patron saints Wendelin and Anthony.
The chapel is exposed to the elements on three sides. From here, your gaze plunges to the gentle hills of Obwalden. On the inside back wall of the chapel, the image of the Ächerli saddle, steeped in history, leads to the inscription "In memory of the Nidwalden heroes who fell to the French attack on September 9th, 1798". This, however, can hardly have been the reason the chapel was built, as a wayside shrine to Mary stood on this spot well before that date. The exposed location and in particular the earthquake of 1964 damaged the structure, and in 1984/85 the sanctuary was painstakingly renovated.
The exterior is dominated by the slender tower on top of the sacristy roof, with its five golden balls around the finely crafted cross. Inside, the stained glass windows depicting Saint Barbara, Saint Agatha, Saint Anthony and a guardian angel draw one's attention, followed by the image of the Good Shepherd in the choir. The neo-gothic altar includes a life-size Pietà. The ceiling paintings are by Josef Schilter from Steinen, who also did some work for the parish church in Dallenwil. In the choir we see the Holy Spirit Dove and God the Father, and in the nave Mary Immaculate.
Person responsible for the parish:
Ursula Uhl, church leader
Tel. +41 41 628 15 86